Sparks! Social Enterprise Camp, June 19-23, 2017
Deadline extension: Applications are encouraged no later than May 19!
Make a living. Make a difference.
“So, what are you going to do with your life?” Once you hit high school, people start asking. You’re probably beginning to wonder yourself, too. Maybe you want to make a decent amount of money. Then again, you’d like to make a real difference in the world. Social enterprise is where these seemingly conflicting ambitions collide—sparking some amazing business models.
A social enterprise is a business that seeks to make money, but it also has a clear social goal or benefit. For example, its focus could be on saving the environment. Or it might provide jobs for people who are difficult to employ. Or it could provide support to adults or kids battling serious illnesses.
Here are a couple of examples of social enterprise companies that you might recognize…
- TOMS® shoes was founded on the promise that for every pair of shoes purchased, the company would donate another pair to a person in need. Today TOMS helps provide shoes, sight, water, safe birth and bullying prevention services to people in need.
- LOVE YOUR MELON was created right here in the Twin Cities by two friends in a St. Thomas University entrepreneurship class. The company donates 50% of the profits from its instantly-recognizable knit hats to non-profit partners fighting against pediatric cancers and providing immediate support to children and their families.
About Sparks! Camp
At this day camp, you will spend five active and inspiring days learning all about social enterprise and developing your business model.
- Learn from guest speakers
- See actual social enterprises at work
- Tap into group discussions and brainstorming
- Spark your passion to change the world!
Who can apply?
- Students who will be juniors or seniors in 2017 – 2018 have priority. Applications from students going into 10th grade and graduating seniors will also be considered.
- Applicants must live within the boundaries of School District 834 and/or other nearby communities (SAHS, private school, charter school and home school students are invited to apply!)
- Up to 20 campers will be accepted